HR: Becoming a Skilled Interviewer
Topics Covered in Course
- Components of behavioral interviewing
- The blended interview process
- Elements of a behavioral response
- Evaluating candidate responses and classifications
- Conducting effective interviews
- Legal aspects and their impact on interviewing
- Participant Self-Study Workbook
- Sample Interview Guide
- Why Perform Behavioral Interviewing
Detailed Course Description
This is a bundle of six mini courses all focused on developing effective interviewer skills. Effective interviewer skills are critical for making accurate hiring decisions and are at the core of any selection process. However in many organizations, interviews are poorly conducted and interviewers do not possess the skills to accurately predict employee success.
Behavioral Interviewing: In this mini course you'll get an introduction on the fundamental principles and corollaries that define behavioral interviewing. Research has demonstrated that behavioral interviewing is a vastly superior interviewing approach and a proven predictor of job success. The introduction is provided by one of the world’s foremost authorities on the employment interview.
The Blended Interview: In this mini course you will learn how to extend the power of behavioral interviewing and use other question types to:
- Establish rapport and put the candidate at ease which makes for a more productive interview
- Provide a conversational flow and context for asking behavioral questions
- Obtain better and more complete behavioral responses to behavioral questions
- Provide information on the whole person including interests, job experience, impact, and enthusiasm for the position
Elements of a Behavioral Response: Rating candidate responses accurately is not easy. It is even harder or maybe impossible when you don’t have the information you need to assign a fair rating. In this mini course you are going to learn about the essential components of a complete response. There are three components: Circumstances, Actions, and Results.
Evaluating Candidate Reponses: In this mini course you will learn how to effectively evaluate competency performance in an interview. You will learn how to avoid common ratings errors and apply a common standard in evaluating responses. You will learn how to apply the key principles of: Situation Similarity, Approach Effectiveness, and Significance.
Conducting Effective Interviews: In this mini course you will learn five key steps for conducting a professional interview. You will also learn three key techniques for gathering quality information: Asking follow-up questions, Providing feedback, and Interrupting and refocusing.
Legal Aspects of Interviewing: Interviewing brings legal responsibilities. It’s up to you and your organization to make hiring and promotion decisions based on a fair and legally credible system. In this mini course you will learn the the major aspects of US legislation impacting the employment interview process. You will learn the do’s and don’ts of conducting legally defensible interviews.