Business War Gaming
Topics Covered in Course
- Relevance of war gaming in strategy
- Typical war game characteristics
- Leveraging different war gaming techniques
- Levels of war gaming
- Defining topics, players, objectives, and senior champion
- Predicting changes in competitive environment
- Identifying market participants
- Writing proper role descriptions
- Utilizing a facilitator
- Leveraging strategic levers
- Steps to preparing teams for war gaming
- Analyzing and anticipating competitor behavior
- Review of previously conducted war games
- Linking results to organizational success
- Determining competitive advantages
- Pitfalls that most organizations fall into
- Example War Game Format
- Pitfalls and Best Practices
- Purposes and Applications
- Setting Up a War Game
- War Game Levels
- War Game Teams
Detailed Course Description
Business war gaming can be used to help a company anticipate the potential impacts of a broad range of competitive actions and uncontrollable events against its own plans, thus helping significantly improve the probability of their success. The primary purpose of war games are to increase the probability and extent of an organization’s success in the face of competition and a series of uncontrollable events and trends.
War games are a useful technique for identifying competitive vulnerabilities and misguided internal assumptions about competitor strategies.
Learn how to apply this approach in order to prepare your organization for the future, make fundamental decisions about your organizational strategies, and maintain a competitive advantage. Simulations of competitive scenarios are used to explore the implications of changes in strategy in a ‘no risk’ environment. This online course will also encourage new ways of thinking about the competitive context and applications when facing critical strategic decisions.
This course is SCIP Endorsed and part of SCIP On Demand Certification
SCIP certification is part of your subscription cost. You can get certified in none, one, or all SME roadmaps offered by VoiceoftheBusiness Academy.
Obtain your Course Completion Document
When you successfully pass a test - you will obtain a Course Completion document (this proves you took, and passed, that specific course). Collect the specific Course Completion documents for any given SME roadmap - if you successfully pass a test you can download a PDF document - that is your Course Completion document for that specific course. When all are obtained for a given SME roadmap, submit those documents to MWinter@scip.org in one email and SCIP will issue you a Subject Matter Expert personalized certificate.
After viewing this course you can take the test below.
A password is required to start the online test. To obtain your password, click here and your email will be verified to see if you're a current subscriber at the Academy and your password for taking tests will be emailed to you.